Thread: March Pickups
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Koufax and Harvey Haddix pickups

Well, March has really been a fertile month for pickups.
I just completed the purchase of another hobby friends' 30 year collection.
Lots of cool stuff that I am still sorting through right now.
Here are two cool Koufax and Bob Gibson items that also came by way of my friend Phil Paul:

The first piece is a circa 1962 signature of Sandy Koufax on stationary from the Hotel Roosevelt in NYC.
It's quite possible that this was signed by Sandy upon his 1st return to NYC after the westward migration of the Dodgers from Brooklyn in 1958 to play the new expansion NY Mets franchise in '62. The Dodgers did stay at the Hotel Roosevelt when playing the Mets. 'Tis a dandy signature, for sure...

The second piece is a beautifully scored scorebook to Bob Gibson's 20th win in his spectacular 1968 season (1.12 ERA!!) This game also allowed Gibson to pass Sandy Koufax on the single season shutout list.
In this game Gibson got his 13th SHUTOUT in the '68 season, passing Sandy's record of 12 shutouts.

Ironically, Sandy Koufax worked this game as a broadcaster for NBC and beautifully signed the front of this scorebook.

Finally, from my collection purchase, I was able to find a second ticket stub to the exceedingly tough Harvey Haddix game in which he pitched 12 innings of perfect ball against the hometown Milwaukee Braves before ultimately losing the contest. Many would consider this to be the greatest pitching performance ever...
Very few of these ticket stubs are out there in the hobby. Perhaps less than 6 of these are known to exist...

Enjoy!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-24-2017 at 10:43 AM.