View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 06:18 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Dylan,

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure if you weren't collecting a winner on the match the stats game and sent in money to get the gold cards (which I did) the pack you received didn't say winner on the gold cards.

I know I have some 10 pack gold cards that are unopened when I get a chance I will try and find them.

My album was handy so I did check that and I have 40 non winner golds in it. I don't remember the odds but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull 40 non winner golds opening wax packs back then.
Thanks Pat.

This seems to be the consensus: that initially Topps mailed out regular (non winner) gold packs to people who mailed in winning Match The Stats cards. But because of the rampant cheating (flashlight under the card to reveal the right areas) Topps switched over to sending out 'Winner' stamped cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
In the match the stats game card, if you failed to win the game (which was very difficult if you didn't know how to cheat with a flashlight), you scratch off the bottom square and revealed either 1, 2 or 3 runs. If you collected 100 runs and mailed the game cards in to Topps with a small fee for S&H, they sent you a cello pack of gold cards without "winner" on them. I did this only once before Topps ended redemptions I think. I never figured out how to cheat with a flashlight in the pre-internet days.
Interesting. So it is possible that the winners could have been issued at the same time as the 100-runs earning non-winners?

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 03-04-2024 at 06:19 PM.