View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Curt

I think that resale value is always somewhere deep behind any question like this, but a lot of times people are mainly looking for something that works for their collections at the time.

I collect Dodgers autographs. I buy a lot of cheap autos on COMC and they are mainly to check a box that I have one. From there, I like to try to get a certified autograph showing the player in a Dodger uniform. If that is not available or possible, a certified autograph in any uniform will work. Depending on the player, I try to find the best looking card design for the price, but given some of these players will never be good and the auto is only for checking the box, I still try to remain conscientious of price. This is why I have a fair number of issues like Signature Rookies, 2K, Best, Classic, etc. Panini has some pretty neat designs, but the lack of logo does hurt the look a little, but that won't stop me. It is tough to find a Dodgers card though, and maybe Panini has the only option, and it is only Dodgers by name and usually just "Los Angeles" only, not even "Dodgers".

I also don't personally mind sticker autographs and sometimes they are the only certified option after a player dies, but on-card signatures generally do look better.