View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The human element will never be and should never be removed, as grade is in part aesthetic and a matter of taste, and the human eye is a sophisticated scientific instrument. Also, what rules and weights (is centereing or color or edges most important, etc., 85/15 versus 80/20 for a grade, etc) are used to determine grade is subjective and that will never be unanimously or objectively answered.

However, automated and AI stuff would be excellent for consistency and for enforcing the rules.

I also know that AI will eventually be able to identify individual cards, such as a card that has been resubmitted.
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

My greatest hope for this kind of technology would be that it nearly eliminates fraud from the hobby, as it applies to card alterations. If a high quality scan of a card could be performed, and the software could detect trimming (microscopic, irregular changes in edge consistency and quality), chemical alteration/cleaning, detecting paper stock inconsistencies (cards being rebuilt), incorrect ink being used-these last two to weed out reproductions being passed off as originals, etc-I'd be thrilled.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.