View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 07:36 AM
Billy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't know the exact order but red was much earlier I think right after
brown and I think there was more than one layer of a few colors and a second
layer of buff was one of the last colors.

You can see that red was early on many of the missing ink scraps like the yellow brown scraps.

Here's my Doolan with mis-aligned lips and a line of excess red running down to the left.

Attachment 434101

Attachment 434102

there is also red on this Clymer that's missing other colors.

Attachment 434103

and this Downey has the red team letters but is missing red/pink in other areas

Attachment 434104

I think Steve B has a better idea and explanation of the order but I don't
think he even knows the exact order.

Thanks, Pat!

Definitely great insight...and I’ll have to check out Scott B’s opinion.

This stuff fascinates me. I agree that red looks like it may come earlier based on your example.

You hit the nail on the head with multiple layers. I personally feel that multiple layers of buff and pink could have been run based on how the colors mixed in this painting alone.

I also find one thing interesting in all of this. So much of what we know is on color variation misprints. But this assumes they ran quality control in between each plate/color change. It’s possible they didn’t look in between the 8-12 presses and then just tossed a sheet when colors got low and they noticed at the end of a run. The explanation of yellow and brown (and even red) being more prevalent in color misprints could be explained by the fact that buff, blue, grey, pink, and light blue were more commonly used on each card design and ran out first.

If I personally could Re-order the colors based on what makes sense with layering colors...I would start lightest...and finish with the darkest colors. In that case, yellow, buff, light blue, pink, dark blue, dark green, red, brown, black. But obviously there are no yellow/buff/light blue color variations.

Anyways... sorry for the ramble...I appreciate the dialog and love your Dolan example (wish I had one like that!)

BK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t206 (PSA or SGC 1-3, or Raw)
Rube Waddell Throwing
Mordecai Brown Cubs Shirt

Topps (Raw or Graded)
1967T (Any/All)
1968T Game Cards (Any/All)
1972T (Any/All)
1975T (Any/All)
1976T (Any/All)

PC Players (Raw or Graded)
Aaron, Bench, Foxx, Seaver, Ryan, B.Robinson, F.Robinson, Rose, Mays, Palmer, Charlton, Schmidt, F.Jenkins, Musial, R.Roberts, Spahn, Feller, B.Gibson