View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Rich Klein

1) The Hedge Fund money coming in is very real. I think we may have barely touched the surface of whom is coming in

2) Vintage Commons will probably settle down for the most part. Most of the "New" money is looking to buy the biggest names in the best condition possible. That means the cards have been professionally graded.

3) We've been going through this for at least 40 years now. Donny Lepore in a 1979, YES 1979 Baseball Hobby News had a quote something like this: "No one who is an expert would have sold a baseball card over the past 10 years until now". 40 years later, same principle seems to be applying

4) FOMO: If you think this is a bubble to be burst, then SELL into the Up Market. I realize this hurts on a collecting basis but if you believe this you will be able to BUY when the market softens. Nothing like using profits to make your costs on your collection cheaper

5) I have a friend in the DFW area who has been a collector/dealer for a long time and he was talking to his wife about selling too cheaply. His wife had some very sage comments: "Look at the beautiful collection you were able to amass with those profits." Nothing wrong with doing both if cards is NOT Your primary income. Now if you are a full-time dealer you should not be a collector except for a very limited basis just to remember what collectors do.

I'm sure there are things I've missed but one other thing

5.2) Everyone has the right to set whatever prices they want and everyone has the right to buy/not buy at those levels. That is really the basis of this business.