Thread: July Pick ups
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Curt

I'll have to go and check mine. I don't remember nor did I likely notice "perforations", but then again it seems they are much fewer than I would imagine from Brian's description. Looks like a couple pairs per side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Picked this up on the Bay but am suspecting it is a reprint, despite seller assurances.

I had understood Dan Dee to be a thin flimsy card stock with wax/oil residues. Instead this is a sturdy stock similar to Twinkee cards when I was a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Jason, I hate to say this to you, but I think I can confirm your fears on your Irvin being a reprint. Dan-Dees were printed in sheets, and for the purposes of how they were inserted into the product containers, the cards were die-cut with many connecting tabs, similar to the 1961 Golden Press Hall-of-Fame cards. Genuine cards will have evidence of the many tabs all around it.

I would not guage them as thin and flimsy, but due to the manner in which they were available, many got creased. Part of that manner was it being a single free prize per package, which lent itself to all sorts of extra handling that resulted in creases. At least the paraffin coating protected the card from oil stains and sharp chip gouges---for a awhile!

Naturally, the reprints were not cut the same way, and appear as tab-free standard-cut cards. Furthermore, the reprints, were done in the current standard card size of 2 1/2 X 3 1/2". Genuine Dan-Dees are 2 1/2 X 3 3/4" (according to a Beckett guide of the early 80s), a slightly dissimilar size to the 1954 Topps.

---Brian Powell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.0 KB, 323 views)