View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Who do you collect with?

Posted By: Joann

I don't know a single soul, outside this board, who even knows anyone that has ever heard of anyone that even knows vintage cards exist. (Well, except those that consider "vintage" to be 1970's, etc - but not the time periods we mostly deal with here.)

I took my cards to a restaurant to show some friends a few weeks ago, and had some of them spread out on the table. This guy and his family walk by the booth and he stopped like he hit a brick wall. Didn't quite know all of what they were (he was more into 1930's) but was excitedly explaining them to his son, about 7 or 8. I even took my N172 out of the toploader to let him hold it directly, and pointed out the the guy wasn't wearing a glove. hee. He was in awe. So at least I know there are other vintage collectors somewhere in my area.

Also, I have a friend at work with a 10-year old son that rabidly collects shiny cards. She has him up to about 14 vintage - mostly from things I keep an eye out for and pick up, or refer her to on BST- and he seems to have a true appreciation for them. I don't know if I would say she exactly "collects", but as we all know it is only a matter of time until the hook is set. lol. She likes to see the cards I pick up and can identify the major T sets, so there is some opportunity for conversation, anyway.

Joann