View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Who do you collect with?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Gil,

The coin collecting Gil seems to have parallel interests as other card collectors. Collecting coins from the same year and mint mark with the only difference being die degradation is similar to those that collect T206 cards with the varying color variations. Just how many shades of pink, red or orange are there? Does the card collecting Gil do the same thing for baseball cards?

I collect mainly baseball cards but I do dabble in non-sports or other cards as well, nothing wrong with a diversion to break it up.

Your comment about your wife thinking that the stuff is "sellable" is very perplexing. I think most of us would rather get rid of our significant others (wives, husbands) rather than get rid of our collections. Your comment about the food chain kind of summed it up though, the only part missing was WIFE. Where does WIFE stand in the food chain of cards, pets and other things we cherish in life? Hmmm, time to get the priorities straight. Gil, if given a choice in life to have the one card (or set) you absolutely want or keep the significant other - what would you chose? Lets make this less volatile, the significant other gets to live happily ever after without harm (no alimony payments either). I don't mean to hijack this thread.

In my hometown I collect by myself. I used to collect with a lot of other kids when I started out but that was a while back. I've only kept in contact with one other serious collector from those days. Today I suffer through my addiction to cards in the privacy of my own office. My wife and kids don't know or understand my addiction other than they shouldn't play with MY CARDS. I do however belong to a very small support group of collectors that have an affinity for the same type of cards I collect and they also share the same affliction of collecting these little pieces of card board.