View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Joe Gonsowski

A sample of some recent cigarette pack pickups (most coming from a couple REA lots).

I'll start with an early OJ pack. This is the earliest 10 count pack I've found, dating to June of 1887. I'm aware of five earlier 20 count packs which seem to be far more common in 1887 but then become scarce/non-existent afterwards. The 10 count packs became far more common for Goodwin and others by 1888. This pack likely contained a baseball card. Would love to hear of other early OJ packs.

Here is the latest Dogs Head pack I've seen, July of 1890. This pack would be post ATC merger and likely issued after Old Judge cards ceased to be inserted in packs. It us far more common to find a Dogs Head pack from mid-to-late 1889 . . . and likely more desirable as they contained baseball cards. I have several DH packs from 1889, this being a rather uncommon later pack issue.

While A&G Straight Cut Number 1 packs are not the most difficult, it is rare to find one issued during the couple month period that N29 cards were issued. Here is a September 10th 1889 pack which is right in the middle of N29 production. This pack is missing the top flap and has writing on front and a side suggesting it was used to hold "easy stamps" for an early stamp collector. The pack otherwise presents nicely with a complete stamp and overprint which can be tough on A&G packs as they would fold the tax stamp across slide & shell.

Then a couple rare packs that don't have direct connection to baseball cards but would have featured some non-sport cards, competing for the smoker's attention.

The last pack was unknown to me before it was listed, Kimball's Japanese Perfumed Cigarettes. This brand was introduced by Kimball in mid 1887? and didn't last very long. On the front of the pack, reading from right-to-left, it states "Japanese Perfumed Cigarettes" in one circle and "Kimball & Co. Rochester N.Y." in another.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 09-22-2019 at 08:58 AM.