Thread: Scouting Cards
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
Thank.

What does OPP stand for? I think H & R man is hit and run man so does OPP mean opportunity?
I don't think so. I'm making an educated guess on this one, but I think it refers to how likely a batter is to take a pitch the other way -- to hit to the opposite field. Usually your best hit-and-run guys are ones who will hit a groundball to the opposite site of the infield (because the shortstop will cover second base on a steal when a left-hander is hitting and the second baseman will cover when a right-hander is hitting, so you want to go the other way to try and hit a grounder through the hole that's created in the defense). So because they've noted that Jody Davis was a hit-and-man, they're saying he will take a pitch the other way.

Again, my educated guess.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, after posting this I texted a friend of mine who manages in the Giants organization. He agreed that it probably means what I thought but wasn't 100 percent sure. You never know, OPP could stand for something that was specific to that team.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.