View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 AM
bobby

Default the Wagner bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibatsman View Post
please understand this is my opinion. I do not have mini bat certificate hanging on the wall. I have had other discussion's and have made comments about these bats that were wrong. this is why I asked you to bring the bat up for open discussion.
this series of seven decals was purchased by H&S after the world series in 1914. H&S bats are 1915 your decal was applied by H&B in 1916.
This is my opinion about the Wagner bat
The Wagner decal has a white line to the bottom left. this isn't correct.

This will be controversial auction houses continuously call decal bats salesman samples. they are wrong. these bats could be bought from a catalog in 1914.
I am still researching 1916 to 1929 so I wont comment on these years.
from 1930 to 48 . you could get one with 15 to 35 cents worth of stamps. guess they needed stamps?. to mail these bats?.
this changed around 1948 when H&B actually wanted 35 cents.

I believe this Wagner bat is a salesman sample. that found a decal. if and I say if. the Wagner decal is a 1915 decal. I am not convinced. the bat just doesn't look right to me?.

Early salesman samples are 14 inches and would have a model number like 125 in center brand with no players name on it.
Latter samples are 22 inches and have no reference to any model. and are on lower grade wood.

I don't doubt a salesman could have carried one. I have seen some so called pouches that auction houses claimed belonged to a salesman. the pouch didn't fit the bat.

At first I didn't like the Jackson bat. the owner changed my opinion. I believe the Wagner deserves the same chance. please discuss this.

Last edited by minibatsman; 04-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.