View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Default Curse of The Bambino

Posted By: Marc S.

They are my favorite team in the lower league (AL) - but the one thought I am always struck with as it relates to the Cubs/Red Sox: Yes, there are talks of curses, Babe's piano, Steve Bartman, etc.

But if one of them actually wins the World Series - the world will rejoice and be happy for a while - but I think after that, the next season or two after, in the words of Chet Baker "The Thrill is Gone". Once they win - all the mystique and interest that have surrounded them for my entire lifetime will be replaced by more indifference.

All in all - the Phillies have been a MUCH MUCH more futile franchise than either the Red Sox or Cubs. They just happened to win in 1980 - and their is no thrill or mystique surrounding them. With the Cubs and Red Sox - many like them because you know they will lose - you hope and hope they win, but perhaps secretly enjoy rooting for the perennial underdog.

I dunno - perhaps I'm rambling - but I think baseball will lose a lot of its essence if/when one of these teams wins it all.