View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 05:48 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Sweet pennant! I have little doubt that cane was indeed purchased with the pennant--most likely, from some kid vendor outside Yankee Stadium. Those canes (sometimes dowels) were commonly sold with pennants, along with pinbacks, celluloid figures, etc.

In terms of its vintage, I would say ca. 1950. Unfortunately, the Yanks won plenty of AL pennants in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, pretty much every decade--right? So, many pennant makers stopped putting the year on their pennants so they could sell any unsold stock in future years. Here, however, I believe this pennant was made by Trench Mfg. Co. of Buffalo, NY; and, if so, it resembles those of their issue from that time frame: late 1940s, early 1950s.

Having said that, I'll let the Yankee collectors chime in as they may have a better sense of what specific championship this might have commemorated.
I’m on the fence about this being Trench. Maybe 60% certain. The style and artwork seems very, very different from what we know to be Trench from this time. Kyle, you might have more evidence, I don’t know, I think the Yankees pennant is from the same company as these pictured here. (I brought this up a couple weeks ago on the pennant thread.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA7ED3B9-957D-4818-9F1D-84632DA96E92.jpg (20.7 KB, 107 views)