View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Holy cow, Fred. Jackpot! Those things are just beautiful! I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of them. I especially love the Braves.

One curiosity though. Most of the players are portrayed with their team name and logo on their hat. Others there is no team name or logo (blacked out). I wonder about the story behind that. Did the set producer have to contact each individual team for permission?

From the looks of it, these would have been printed between '51 and '52. Pafko was a member of the Cubs prior to those two seasons, and the Milwaukee Braves after. Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews are pictured with their team logos, but Don Newcombe is not.
Hi Bill:

YEAH! I do feel like I hit the jackpot with these! Thanks.

These are the regular issue of the 1959 Exhibit Card set with the Dad's Cookies ad on the reverse. It is not known if Dad's did the back printing or the Exhibit Co. Dad's had nothing to do with the photos. That was up to the Exhibit Card Company. Why they choose to use certain photos without logos while others had them is something we will pobably never know. FYI the card of Newcomb you reference was issued with the Dodgers logo on his cap and jacket in an earlier Exhibit set. He was later traded to the Reds, I believe, and they just airbrushed out the Dodgers stuff and issued him in a plain cap etc., much like Topps has been known to do.

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 11-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.