View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 01:28 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
Yeah, I watched that race live last season. When it happened, I thought there was no way Grosjean survived. No way. My daughter was watching the race with me, and she started crying and praying after it had become apparent what had happened. We had a talk about how dangerous race car driving is, and that sometimes accidents happen.

It took what seemed like an eternity before they showed us that he had survived. After the crash, the cameras just showed different things around the paddock and the commentators talked. I assume that the Sky TV producers figured (like the rest of us) that he was dead, and didn't want to show the gruesome details on tv. When they finally confirmed that he was alive and showed the replay of him coming out of the car, it was an amazing sigh of relief, and near disbelief. I mean, how could he have possibly survived that crash at that speed? His car was ripped in two pieces.

Incidentally, Grosjean was in the final season of his F1 contract, and it was believed that he would retire from racing. However, he has now begun racing the United States this year in the IndyCar league. I can't imagine that his wife and children and thrilled about that. Dude has balls of steel, that's for sure.
I didn't realize Grosjean was still racing. Doesn't quite surprise me as these guys are a different sort. Niki Lauda being the first obvious example that jumps to mind.