View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 02:40 PM

Late 80's, my wife and I were attending a business conference in Hawaii. We were staying at the same hotel as most of the players in that weekend's Pro-Bowl. Saw many players coming and going from the hotel, but kept it to a nod or head-shake.

One day, we were sitting at a table in the outside bar area with some friends. My wife noticed several people coming over to the table next to ours and asking to take a picture with the person sitting there. My wife asked me why they were doing that. I explained, that was Walter Payton and he was a record-breaking football player. My wife, not being shy, started a conversation across tables, telling him how nice it was that he was so friendly with all the people coming up to him and how it couldn't be easy being constantly interrupted. He thanked her and they had a brief conversation. One part I remembered, was he told her that he had a choice in these situations - he could sit in his room and stare at the walls or he could go outside and make some fans happy. He chose to make some fans happy. Just a truly nice guy who passed too soon.