View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'd be interested to see if they move Tatis off of shortstop if his defense doesn't improve. He's got just freakish athletic ability, so maybe a corner outfield slot is in his future.

If his plate discipline improves just a little-and I think it will-look out. He really doesn't strike out like your typical power hitter today. His K% is 25.9%, up slightly from his 23.7% last year. Compare that to someone like Joey Gallo, who is at 32.4% this season, and had a career rate of 37.6% (a whopping 672 Ks in 1,785 career PAs). Gallo's walk rate has jumped significantly this season to 18.9%, up from 14.0% career, and that's with a lot of inconsistency. In the abbreviated 2020 season, his walk rate was 12.8%. The year before, it was 17.9%, and 12.8% the year before that.

Tatis is only 22, and his walk rate has trended up each season.

2019 8.1%
2020 10.5%
2021 12.2%

His isolated power (.370) is unsustainable, but his BAbip is actually lower than his career standard at .290.

His career OPS+ is 162, and I think he has room for improvement as a hitter, which is frightening. If he stays healthy....

AT THE TIME, it was inconceivable that Fernando Tatis, Sr. could outdo his single-inning with two grand-slams feat...but, such a conception did occur.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente