View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 PM

So these are a little confusing to me, and perhaps could in part explain why for instance PSA won't authenticate them anymore (they will the auto, but just not identify and label the item other than "postcard").

But it seems to be one of the standard "JD McCarthy postcard" often I've seen referenced as "1950-60" in some places.

I think the photo looks like it is from the earliest era b/c he looks that young, but there is at least one other pose of these I think? and they aren't individually copyrighted so it isn't clear when the print run would be just based on looking at the single item. I suspect some out there must know a lot more about these postcards.

The auction listing for this one said it was postmarked '56, which seemed exciting though of course still secondary to the inscription, so I wasn't totally disappointed to get it and looking with a loupe decide I don't think that's right. I can see the oversight, since there is some ink missing from the final digit such that the "0" could be imagined as a "6" and the pre-printed text bisects right through the postmark such that one can imagine a "5" where the "6" is. But in hand I am pretty certain the postmark says "Sep 12 1960" rather than 1956.

So not exactly a rookie-era inscription which would have been icing, but since I can still pretend it was personalized to me, I'm good with it.