View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Figured this one comes with a good story, so worth reviving the great one thread!

So about 25 years ago before electronic Ebay sniping there was well, manual sniping - had to set an alarm and mark your calendar, be in front of your computer and hope your internet connection didn't fritz out.

I had found a listing for 2 Puerto Rican winter league yearbooks - I had never seen them before - a 1954 With Roberto Clemente and a 1955 with Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. The '55 was scheduled to end first. Both of them were sitting at like $100 heading into the auction close. So I am thinking - gosh, I would pay $500 a piece for them. So with 10 seconds left to go, I hit the "place bid" button with my $500 something dollar bid - only to find myself the underbidder!!!! Upset, angry and determined not to lose the '54 I put my snipe in at like $700. on the '54. I won it for ~ $200! I tried reaching out to see who might have won the '55 to try to talk them out of it. No luck even finding where it landed. So it landed on my want list. I can't say I actively searched for it as much as other items, but it remained in the back of my mind and I certainly kept my eye out for one.

Well, Last week our very own Net 54 board member Larry S lists one in the BST here:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309045

I ponied up for it as it puts a happy ending to a previously "unfinished" story - received it today and am happy to add it to my collection! Thanks Larry!

..........now where did I put that '54?

Howard, I just saw your program. That's an awesome piece. Congratulations on that pick up. I'm sure its nice to have that closure. Coincidently, I own a Type I copy of that photo of Willie sliding on the lower right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Howards program.jpg (77.9 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg Mays_PT.jpg (71.3 KB, 442 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)