View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
So the hobby will move forward with the recognition by all or most collectors that there will be altered cards regularly offered for sale. In a logical world, any hint that a high grade card might be altered would result in a deep discount, since most collectors would recognize the high probability of not getting an actual high grade card.

But in the bizarro way our hobby has evolved, those very cards will continue to set world records. Why is it that no matter how many times I think about this, I still can't seem to accept the stupidity of it.

It's like selling horse meat and calling it filet mignon. It's selling spam and calling it caviar. It makes no f#cking sense.
I always thought an altered card was worth 10% of it's original value? also though that Dr. James Beckett had all this nailed down as "industry standards"? Maybe you can help me understand something. Beckett used dealers financial accounts dent to the company to come up with a statistical formula to calculate a cards worth...is that what PSA does? Would it be a conflict of interest for PSA to grade cards and come up with a value for their graded cards in their price guide? Thanks.