View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 05:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Mickey Mantle, for example.
Ryan Braun is another. He started at shortstop, and then moved to third base at Miami. He played third as a rookie, and was Rookie of the Year putting up a historically great season with the bat, while appearing utterly lost at third base. They moved him to left field, and that's where he should have stayed.

Come to think of it, Paul Molitor was also meant to play short, though I wouldn't say he failed at the position. Milwaukee just had another young superstar in the making occupying that spot on the field. So, they put him at third. One Hall of Famer playing next to another. God, I miss those days at County Stadium.

As for Mantle, yes, he was awful at short, but I wonder how his career would have turned out had they moved him to third instead of the outfield. If he stays in the infield, he never tears his knee in the '51 Series, and is relatively healthy going forward.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.