View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
This is the kind of stuff that makes collecting so interesting. Most people would brush by a guy like this with little to no interest. We all probably have these kinds of guys that for whatever reason take a much higher priority in our collections.

I generally don't care for common players but my exceptions are almost always team related. In the case of the Mariners players, it would have to be on the 77-87 era cards, or maybe team postcards and an occasional photo, otherwise I really have no interest at all. Without a photo link to the M's of that time, they are just not that interesting to me.

Dodgers on the other hand, I will take anything signed to cross a name off the want list. Dodger cards are the most preferred item, but cuts or other team items are acceptable if that is the best I can do with my budget. If Al Lewis had played for the Dodgers, I'd be wanting his signature for that only reason.
Yep, every team collector has an Allan Lewis type player they're looking for. I've had Lewis for the A's, Dick Barone for the 1960 Pirates, Red Worthington for the 1934 Cardinals, and Bert Hamric for the 1955 Dodgers. If I didn't collect those teams, I wouldn't even know who they were.