View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
These two football pennants do indeed look like ADFLAG's work. They're monochrome, full body illustration, and tassel-less. Additionally, the steeler graphic was adapted from a larger rendition of the same player used for NFL and AFL pennants in the 1960s. And the matching texts confirms both were from the same maker.

When were these made do you suppose?

As to the baseball pennants ... I recognize most to be from ADFLAG. The Oakland A's one is by Trench. Not sure about the Padres one ... if made by Trench in 1969 or later I'd expect to see the MLB logo on it, which this lacks. Perhaps it was made in 1968, in anticipation of the team's creation? It's very similar to a white Padres pennant that Keezer made at the decade's end.

The Rangers, Royals, and Brewers one are a mystery to me....

The Astros one is an ADFLAG for sure.
Pretty safe to say the two football pennants are from late 1972. The Dolphins and Steelers met in the AFC Championship Game on Dec 31, 1972. Dolphins were on their way to wrapping up their 17-0 season. I don't think I've seen any other 1970s conference championship games commemorated with pennants like this.