View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Lefty O'Doul and Babe Ruth....golfing buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Great thread...I have always held that O'Doul belongs in the Hall of Fame. A travesty really not just for his MLB accomplishments but for what he did to expand the game to Japan and by virtue all of Asia.

I was extremely fortunate to have acquired a number of items from his estate but most of the good stuff was sold off to Dick Dobbins years ago during the many times I ran into financial difficulty. One piece I surely wish I had back was a signed program from the 1934 Goodwill Tour of Japan signed by everyone except Ruth and signed by Gehrig twice. Probably now worth 20x what Dick paid for it, which was a fair price at the time.

Here is one picture from the estate that I already had scanned. That's O'Doul swinging and even without seeing his face it's pretty obvious who his golf partner is.

MooseDog

First....Dick Dobbins was one of the greatest guys in this hobby I had the priviledge of knowing.

2nd....DITTO....to what you said regarding Lefty O'Doul not being in the HOF. O'Doul's 11 year career with a .349 lifetime Batting Avg. (4th all-time high BA in the Majors)
certainly qualifies him to be in the HOF.;

Manager (and then hitting instructor) from 1935 - 1961 in the PCL, O'Doul tutored some of the greatest in BB.......Joe and Dom DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Willie
McCovey, and more.

3rd......might this photo of the Babe be the front view of your photo that day with the Babe and Lefty O'Doul ?

TED Z