View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Bill Gregory

I love this thread idea, Luke!

Ok, here we go...

#1. My favorite card is my T206 Walter Johnson portrait. It's a card I even wanted when I was a kid. I bought an SGC 30 last year, and then upgraded it to a PSA 4 a few months back. It's from my favorite set, it's my favorite pre-war era player, and I think it's one of the most beautiful baseball cards ever made. I could see myself even upgrading to a PSA 5 someday, though doing so would take some serious cash. Still, I love this card, and look at it at least once a day, I think, if not more.

#2. My most sentimental pre-war card would also be my first.

Last June, I received a message from Pete Sycks. He told me that he saw a comment I'd made about looking for my first pre-war card. Out of the goodness of his heart, he offered to send me a T202 card for free. I gave him my address, and got really excited to get it in the mail. Unfortunately for me, I was quite a while before I could see it. The next day, I fell and broke my left leg above the knee, and was brought to the hospital by ambulance, and scheduled for surgery the next day. Three and a half weeks later, when I finally got home from the hospital, the card from Pete was waiting for me. It brought the first smile to my face in a long time, and I've developed a sentimental attachment to it. It was a reminder that even though a person might hit a bump in the road, there are always good things on the horizon.

#3. My favorite card under $50.

My first Goudey baseball card was this Earle Combs I got from Ryan, who has become one of my favorite sellers on the board. I was so happy to have my first member of the New York Yankees' famous Murderers' Row. I absolutely love the Goudey cards, especially the 1933 and 1934 sets. So, I will be working on these just a little more.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.