View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Alan Elefson

Default Show Your Early Baseballs

Hi-
Below is a bit of a long, boring post but please feel free to post your own early baseballs!

Several years ago I found an early bat at an antique store that matches closely to one with an 1865 patent date. Ever since, early memorabilia has been one of my main focus areas. I was able to pick up a few nice bats antiquing but I never found any early baseballs. I always hoped to find an early baseball "in the wild" as opposed to winning it in an auction.

Last September I found my first early baseball at Brimfield. It is the small figure eight one pictured below. It had been found in a barn in Pennsylvania and the dealer had just put it out (a friend had gotten me in early at one of the paid shows). I was very happy to buy it but it wasn't cheap (I think I paid about 300). A few weeks later I found a larger early figure eight ball with cool old repair stitching at an antique store not far from Brimfield in Central Massachusetts (the big figure eight one pictured below). I bought it for around 300 too.

I kept hoping to find a lemon peel ball. Not long after finding the larger figure eight I completed a trade with a friend (and board lurker) and got a lemon peel (probably valued in the 250-350 range). It is the one with the most damage pictured below.

At the beginning of the Covid lockdown, I purchased the lemon peel ball posted on Net54 by a board member. It was the most expensive of all of my early baseballs (in the 500 range) but it was in nice condition for its age. It is the lemon peel that has the best patina below.

Beyond that purchase, I have had a fairly lucky antique shopping streak going even during the pandemic and lockdowns. My regular flea market restarted in early June, and I have gotten some nice bats highlighted by a Reach ring bat and a Cobb JF Hillerich decal bat (both in rough condition but the price was right).

I couldn't believe my luck last week when at the end of a good morning of running around the flea market, a dealer I knew was showing a lemon peel type ball to another customer. I asked politely and was allowed to review it with the other customer. He ended up passing as he wanted to resell it but wasn't entirely comfortable with the price and how much he could get for it. I ended up buying it for 300 after sending a quick picture to a fellow board member who thought it was likely a lemon peel.

I know and trust the dealer I bought it from who said it came in a box of Civil War era items. I believe he said it came from Massachusetts, but I will confirm that this coming weekend when I see him again. It is odd as there is no visible stitching or stitch marks. It is harder than my other lemon peels and slightly larger.

I am amazed that a year ago I had no early baseballs in my collection and now I have two early figure eight style and three lemon peel style ones. I am amazed on what is still out there.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (38.1 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 055.jpg (38.0 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (50.2 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (45.7 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg 058.jpg (36.3 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg 059.jpg (43.3 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg 060.jpg (40.6 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg 061.jpg (40.8 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 062.jpg (41.1 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (39.7 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg 064.jpg (40.1 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 065.jpg (44.2 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 066.jpg (44.7 KB, 511 views)

Last edited by aelefson; 07-23-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error