View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Some people are demanding that great centering is a must for something like this, but cards like the '52 T Mantle (or any quality vintage, really) don't necessarily underperform as investments simply because they are fairly off-centered.

Looking at PSA's sales records for that Mantle: an average PSA 3 with decent centering has gone from 7-8 k to 30-35 k in the last 10 years. With the typical 75/25 to 80/20 in one or both directions for that card sometimes, it would've sold for about 6 k back then, and goes for 25 k today.

I had to extrapolate a little for that last one back around 2010 (because I couldn't find an example that really fit that centering bill without a qualifier), but since 60/40 to 65/35ish PSA 3s went for 7000-8000, and the cheapest 3 anywhere went for 5600, I think 6000 would be pretty close.

So, all PSA 3s quadrupled since then. As have all the various grade 4-7 versions of it during the last 10 years too

Basically if you bought any reasonable '52T Mantle in anywhere close to mid-grade in recent years, you've gotten about the same bang for your buck, regardless of the specifics of the card. Even though it seems like many people's compulsion about centering would be a big factor, that hasn't been the case.
This video backs up your comment above - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBGdGCe4E_Y