View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I picked up my PSA 4 Leaf Jackie (pictured left) just before the prices went nuts, and I thought that was it, right? Wrong. After studying a few examples and going back and forth with a few members on this forum, I realized that I needed to add one more to my PC, which I call the 'blue cap' variation. This card is seen on the right of the photo and you can tell the dramatic difference between the two. Okay, so exactly what is the 'blue cap' variation? The black ink (or black dots to be more precise) is missing on the cap. The black ink is what gives it a three-dimensional appearance, and without it, it is just going to look flat, or two-dimensional.

As for his pink face, the explanation behind that is simple: the magenta and black dots don't line up and this is why his face appears that way. If this registration problem was corrected, then the card would appear more like the one on the left (the PSA 4).

And finally, you are probably wondering why this card graded AUTH - ALTERED. I measured it, and top-to-bottom was fine, but it was a bit short left-to-right. It looks like somebody did a very sloppy trim job on the right edge. No, it wasn't done by one of those "professional trimmers" who have been outed on the Blowout Forums. I believe this trim job was probably performed decades ago when this card was worth a few bucks. I think that's all that was done to this card, but I might be wrong. If you're an expert on this issue and would like large front and back scans, then PM me your email. I would love to hear your opinions!

Anyhow, I hope this thread will make all of you study this set in more detail and go after the different variations. It's very fun!
That is a cool print offset on the blue hat one. Is it a double print card? That would explain the different color cap and one having a yellow line down the left side and the other don't. That yellow line isn't any kind of print error.