View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi Steve,
Good memory! Yes, that was the guy. I believe his name was Joe and I remember getting him a pack of cigarettes (Newports!) when I went to the store next to the hotel that morning.
I did sit down with him and listened to his ideas on the business of grading.
He showed me a paper he had 1-10 written down and a brief description on what to look for when assigning a grade. Not a word was printed about trimmed or altered cards.
I do remember 3 distinct things from that day:
A customer had 4 Griffey UD rookies to be graded that were slabbed Gem Mint 10's. The cards had centering issues and scratches on the hologram.

A customer had some cards graded and returned a few hours later because the holder was not sealed right on a few cards and he had them re-done.

A dealer asked the Pro owner about a price on 100+ cards graded. After they agreed on a price, the dealer told the Pro guy he only wanted to see 2 numbers on his cards: a 1 and a zero! I'm not sure if the deal went through or not.

Apparently, many people bought the machine and set up shop without much experience and this is going to continue to cause issues.
:O)
I remember the ads offering to set up grading companies for something like 15K. I think you got the slab sealer and a starter supply of slabs and maybe a cheap computer to print the tags. I actually asked around to see If I could borrow the money but nobody wanted to do it. Worked out for the best. I don't have the sales skills to make it work, and at the time I didn't have the tact to handle stuff like the guy demanding all 10s. That bit especially wouldn't have gone well.

With really good guidelines I don't think that someone not being into cards would be bad. In some cases it might be better. I'm sure you've seen plenty of inventory with vg commons, vg-ex minor stars and ex-mt stars that all look alike. Starry eyes and wishful thinking. I've had a friend who knows nearly no baseball "Ted Williams played for the redsox right?" He'd heard of Yaz too. Anyway I had him help go through a box of cards his job was to remove only the really nice condition ones. He found 5 out of a couple thousand he thought were really nice.

Steve B

Steve B