View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 02:13 PM
John Donovan

Fun thread idea. I can relate to this because as a child of the late 70's and 80's, I had many Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformer toys. While some of them were sold off in garage sales over the years, the vast majority survived and were in storage in my parents' home until a couple years ago when my mom finally wanted that "junk" out of her basement.

I enjoyed going through them, but I realized, for the most part, I didn't really have any interest in collecting vintage toys or making a display out of them, and they weren't doing any good sitting in boxes in my basement. So over the last year and a half I sold pretty much everything on eBay.

Some of you may not be aware, but just as the interest (and prices) of baseball cards has been rising recently, I realized the is true of some vintage toys. And luckily, as a kid, I kept good care of my toys, ensured no parts were lost, kept a lot of the original boxes, etc., etc.

My goal was to sell my entire collection of toys and use the money to buy a key baseball card that I've had my eyes on for the last few years. And almost down to the exact dollar amount, the profit I made from selling my toys paid for this:

Mantle.JPG

So it was a very fun endeavor. It made it much easier to sell off my old childhood treasures knowing that I was going to spend it on something FUN that I would enjoy, instead of bills, etc. And it made it much easier to justify to my wife to buy an expensive baseball card without having to use ANY of our standard savings, checking, college account money, etc.

I kept a couple of my earliest toys around just because (a beat up R2 and C-3PO, and old Bobba Fett, etc.) but all the rest are now spread around the country...hopefully being displayed by another collector that gets just as much joy out of those toys that I get out of my cards.

Although I no longer have them, here are a few pictures of some of the nicer and rarer toys that helped fund my Mantle:

Millenium.jpg

deathstar.JPG

atst.jpg

cobra.jpg

cobra2.jpg