View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 01:35 PM
Javan

So never got around to posting this but reading this thread on a rainy afternoon in New England got me off my butt to take a pic and share. It’s the complete 15 CJ set matted and framed (yes they are original). Why, you ask, would anyone do that? Well here’s the story.

Picked this up from a guy in New Hampshire who owned a sportscard shop near Mount Washington in the 1980s glory days. He told me in the late 80s an older gentleman walked into his shop with a shoebox from his father holding a complete CJ set, the catch being his father had trimmed off the white borders of each and every card! Even in the 80s they had some value and the owner of the shop bought them for a price he did not disclose to me (couldn’t have been too much in that condition, in the 80s). The card shop owner decided to mount, mat, and frame the set for his man cave where they were for decades until I purchased a few years ago.

If you look at the pics, over the years as players were traded or changed teams, the young boy crossed out team names and wrote their new teams in pencil. He took his set seriously! I could probably remove the cards without to much damage but the whole thing has its own story now so I leave it intact. I absolutely love it. Throw in the cool repro ad above it and it’s a real head turner. Just wanted to share in the context of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk