View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Mike Dugan

I too have always loved the Treat book though I only own the edition with the orange jacket. I have all of the Putnam books with jackets and only have three signed, two by Lieb and the Indians by Lewis. I wrote Mr. Povich in the late 80's and complimented him on his writing. He wrote back very quickly and asked for copies of some of my writing. We exchanged correspondence for several years. Did the same with Sam Lacy in Pittsburgh before his passing. Looking back I wish I could have asked him about a story that I have absolutely no proof of so far. There is a story flirting about that Josh Gibson hitched on some trains to come to Hot Springs, Arkansas when he was 17. He had heard the Crawfords were training here and perhaps this is where he was signed??? We have several photos of him here that year but I have no clue where he was discovered. Mr. Lacy was here then too but sadly the story popped up years after his death.

As a side note I wrote James Bready many years ago about his Orioles book which has been printed many times in both hard and soft cover. I received a huge package from him with all of his notes inclduing a first edition with many hand written changes inside. He said he was getting old and wanted it to fall into someone's that would appreciate it. I was very touched and really didn't know how to react.

BTW I have Beale's Redskins book and his two college books on Navy and Georgetown. The Redskins book is as tough as or tougher than the Senators. Sorry to ramble.