View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 03:19 PM

Just curious, why would anyone consign their cards to a person/business that simply lists them on ebay? I guess if they're working all the time or traveling, etc. An ebay listing isn't all that hard and the process is simple.

I don't see how it could possibly maximize profit if one is paying a fee on top of the 10% ebay fee.

I think you could mail it to the buyer just as easily as mailing it to a broker. So, the additional 10% one would be paying is for the listing preparation and logistics of sending it off, and I guess because they have followers, etc.

Ex = I send my 87 Topps Bonds to a broker. They list it on ebay. It sells for 1.10 instead of the mean price of $1.00. Ebay collects .11, broker collects .11. I'm paid .88. If I listed it myself and sold it for the mean price of $1.00, I would have been paid .90 from ebay.

Is this example wrong, or am I missing something. I never excelled in math.

If an item has a lot of value, i.e., 5K plus, why wouldn't you just send it to an AH? Not saying you would get more money, but there would be a lot more marketing, etc. compared to an ebay listing.