View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Ed Hans......

Regarding your......
" we simply can't think of the distribution as "series 1, 2, and 3"......can you elaborate further on this ?

Here's my take on how this set was produced......
Given that we have evidence of 30-card uncut sheets of Caramel cards, then my theory is that the 1st series was issued in
late 1908. It consists of 30 cards [many Phila. A's are in this series (incl. Joe Jax)]. The cards in this series are most plentiful.

The 2nd series of 30 cards was issued in early 1909. The availability of these cards is comparable to the 1st series cards.

The 3rd series of 30 cards was issued in late 1909 and they are certainly tougher than the first 60 cards.

The 4th series of 30 cards was issued in the Spring/Summer of 1910 (we know this since Keeler's horizontal card shows him
with tht NY Giants (signed with the Giants May 6, 1910). And, Duffy became Manager of Chicago (AL) in the Spring of 1910.
And, needless to say, these 30 cards were Short-Printed.

Actually, you can track the goings-on during the 1908-1910 era and pretty well figure which players were in which series.

P.S....The 1910 series includes many Boston and Cinci players (which are missing in the earlier series). I attribute this to pos-
sible "player's rights" conflicts with the 1909 Ramly issue. Add to this mix the T206 issue having possible conflicts with Ramly,
as there are very few Boston (AL) players in the T206 set.

I look forward to your comments ?

TED Z