View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Personally, I don't get any more offended by PSA advertising their services in this way than I do by a lawyer running an ad on television trying to scoop in anyone who has ever used a particular drug for their class action lawsuit (regardless of whether they experienced any adverse effects). Or a deoderant company promising that their product will attract women to my arms. Or a car company showing how I can do donuts in my foyer with their car if I wind up on house arrest. Or any other fantastic promise that any company makes about their own product.

It's called advertising.

Some ads are more subtle than others, but all are intended to paint the company's own products or services in a more favorable light than their competition's. You don't see Firestone including how many accidents have been caused by their tires shredding in the last year. You don't see Myrtle Beach including shark bite statistics in their promo spots. NOBODY talks about the down side of their company or product in their ads. Why in the world would anyone think that PSA would be any different? Especially in a promo on their own website.

If you don't agree with the ad, you probably wouldn't have used the product anyway. Same goes for PSA. I don't use Axe deoderant, drive a Fiat, or hire legal representation from a television ad. Call me a stinky-pitted, bicycle-ridin' anarchist for not embracing those companies if you want, but don't think for a second that it has anything to do with the amount of truth in their ad spots.

And to finish off with a little bit of levity, some truth in advertising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhtTU...e=results_main