View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Anyone know who is behind the company and/or where they are getting their cards from? I think that info is very relevant in determining the viability of the company and the valuations of the underlying cards.

Here is my concern- I have some very expensive cards, including a t206 wagner. I could start a company and start with my wagner, selling 25000 shares at $100/share and turn my $1mm wagner into a $2.5mm card. Better yet, I could sell off only 12500 shares, keep 50%, and be totally cashed out with no risk to me. The point is, there is tremendous potential for abuse and I would be very interested to know who is behind the company, whether they own the cards they selling shares of, how they are valuing these cards, etc.

I was alerted to this by Evan recently and found it to be very intriguing and said hell yeah I will buy some shares and give this a shot.

https://collectable.com/cardboard-perfection/

Here is the link to the information on the card and below is the link to the management team. It will come as no surprise the CEO is an ex hedge fund manager.

https://collectable.com/about-us/

Just like an IPO the underwriters and the seller try and come up with a price and see if there is interest. If over 62% of it is sold out in less than 12 hours there is obviously interest at the 2.5 million price tag.

There is nothing stopping you from trying the same. You just have to be willing to turn your card over and it is no longer in your possession. For many that is something they have no interest in.

That said it is a perfect scenario where you can "take profits" and still have a shot at the upside.

In this case Evan is maintaining a huge equity stake in this card. Years ago when he bought this he told me how much he had in it. It was obviously not cheap and there is some margin in the sale price for him.

Quite frankly if you put your Wagner up in one of these scenarios I would love to buy in. Find me a period of five years where that card hasn't gone up and over time it has crushed the stock market. Has the easy money been made? Sure but with the money printing that is taking place and the vast wealth disparity globally the very well off just keep getting even more well off. Obviously this is a bone of contention for many but the Wagner card doesn't care.

On a long term basis I personally see no scenario where a Wagner goes down. It is priced in dollars and so if the dollar gets weaker and inflation hits like many believe will occur it goes up. If the economy bounces back and we continue the expansion it goes up. It is a status symbol and while you and others may have purchased it for the love of collecting there are plenty of others who will buy it so they can say they have a Wagner and they think it is a good investment.

Like someone mentioned the Trout card. From $400,000 to nearly 4 million a few years later. Some college kid could have set aside 2k and turned it into a much greater sum investing in something he likes and thinks is cool. It is coming.