View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 11:28 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
I remember busting open wax packs of the 70 set. Love at first site for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I think this may be the first time in the history of the interweb that someone has declared their love for the 1970 Topps set. At least by placing it in a 'Top 5' list.

Hey, we all need some love.
The 1970 set I guess to many is a kind of staid and understated set. The pictures really have a different feel to them. I can understand the reaction by many who don't really go for this set.

But I think it is a very stately set. In my opinion, it has a regal quality to it. The design is really a classic in my opinion. The names written in cursive on the gray border. I think the pictures, which have sometimes a somber quality to them are what don't really grab people. But there were some really nice cards in the set, for instance, the Reggie Jackson card. Willie McCovey's card and Gil Hodges', I think are great cards amongst others.

The playoff cards are nice and they reprised the style of the 1961 All-Star cards for the All-Star series.

One thing though, that I think is really nice about the cards, are those blue, yellow, and white backs. That design, in my opinion, was one of Topps' best.