View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 06:56 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
If by buyer you mean AJ, he was apparently notified with proof just over 30 days after his purchase was made.

Yes many of us rely, but maybe not blindly, on a TPG assessment however if someone provides evidence which supports a card in question might be altered and should not have graded, addressing it timely is imperative. Aug 2020 was ions ago in this fast moving market. If pressed I feel pretty confident that eBay would have approved of a return at the price paid at which time the seller could have gone to PSA for a buy back. I am even more confident that PSA would have liked for the opportunity to buy back the card in Aug 2020 rather than someone waiting until March 2021 to make an inquiry.
Ah, I didn't know the time-frame of AJ's card......
Even so, it's an interesting proposition.
If I buy a card, eBay, Auction House, wherever, the card sits in a Third Party Grading Slab of repute, and when I receive it I'M confident it's ok, what is the presumed responsibility for me to get it re-evaluated if contacted by someone else (NOT the TPG company looking to make amends for it's mistake) whose opinion it is that the grade is incorrect...either for grade assessed, evidence of authenticity, or alteration?

As a hobbyist myself, my first thought if I believe the card good is that I'm being contacted by a party upset at having missed the opportunity to buy it themselves, and looking to have me give it up.

For instance, I'm going to post the following.
It's my W514 Jax, and I've posted it before.
It's an SGC 86, sharp as all get out. In fact, I have no idea how it can be so sharp after all those years before I got it and subsequently had it graded. It was raw at the time of purchase nearly 20 years ago.
I inspected it, and while it's a touch 'bat wingy' at one corner I could seen no evidence of recent cutting. But when was it cut? Did a kid/adult back in 1919 actually perform that kind of perfect hand cutting from the strip?
SGC thought the same as I after inspecting the card.

But what if one of you guys decided you didn't like how it looked, and insisted it MUST be non-contemporaneously trimmed, and decided you would reach out to SGC to push your claims.
Am I then obligated to chase down someone else's suspicions?
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Now, I'm SUUUUUPER confident in this card, or I wouldn't post it, but still I run the risk if this is the new standard - no?

Again, I understand if the TPG becomes aware of a likely mistake, in fact one so obvious just by first take there is an blatant issue and it needs immediate return.
But in the other instance, I'm sure relying on both my opinion and that of the TPG should be sufficient for me to not have to 're evaluate' every card I buy?

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-08-2021 at 06:59 PM.