View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Tsaiko- you don't have to post your name if you don't want to, as long as the posts stick to noncontroversial topics. But I for one find anonymity to be one of the oddities of the internet, and see no precedent for it in our daily lives.

Imagine any social or business situation where you interact with somebody for the first time but refuse to give out your name. But on the internet that is considered acceptable. I find it odd, and don't understand the notion of not wanting anybody to know who you are. After all, this isn't a site for child molesters to congregate. It's just baseball cards. Who cares if any one of us likes to discuss baseball cards? The need for anonymity goes right over my head, but that's me.

Thanks David. Spelling corrected.
Well Barry, I meet people in person, in social situations, who I immediately don't want them to know my real name. Paranoid, maybe, but some people you just know you don't want to know.

Also, I notice there are some members (that use their real names) who never get involved in controversial subjects and I respect them for it. I know it may be hard for some of those members to resist giving their opinion, because it's hard for me sometimes too, but being anonymous and knowing I'll have to out myself if I'm controversial, acts as a self censor and prevents me from regrettable behavior (if I could only do that in real life - I'm a real loud mouth .

Please try to understand that some people are in a position or their family are in a position of possible harm if too much information is available about them. For example, think of a Federal Prosecutor, who has received death threats, etc. Piecing together complete information on someone, who uses their real name all over the internet, is really pretty easy.

Having said that, I'm all for getting together with anyone local to LA for a beer, coffee or even to play catch. Of course, I'll be wearing a mask -

j/k.