View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 12:16 PM

So here is an example of what I have been working on ...

I wanted to post here because, like I said earlier, I don't have all the knowledge I need on errors and variations prior to when I was collecting from 1986 until now.

1. Sherry Magie --- impact is that it is one of the big 4 and and anchor for the hobby for the next 1000 years

2. Billy Ripken -- impact is that during the height of errors, this card was known by people inside and outside the hobby. Even today people just want to hold one in their hands.

3. Frank Thomas NNOF -- the impact was for the first true rarity in the modern error place --- even today with millions of 1990 topps, its still hard to find...and worth more and more

4. Mickey Mantle White letters --- One of the greatest ever, from the yankees and representing the 69 white letters.... Without mantle having a white letter version , would people care as much for cards like this (2 color versions?)

5. Craig Nettles 1981 fleer spelling error --- the first year Topps now had lawsuits and rivals and errors and variations appeared as common place in the new "modern baseball card market"

6. 1957 Hank Aaron Uncorrected error -- Reverse Negative --- Not only is this of a baseball great, but I feel this card helped translate the stories of hitting cross handed and the aura of the home run king. A card that collectors wanted in their display case.

7. Barry Bonds opening Day -- In 1987, I remember people opening boxes and not knowing what Johnny Ray looked like --- it seemed so hard to find this card -- then Bonds became a legend --- today they are still rare and since their were not packs and only a boxed set --- it become the first error card that was truly from an odd place and hard to find --- and so happened to be one of the most controversial figure of all time.

Ill stop there even though I have my top 25 done like the above because I want to learn more about the cards I don't understand (pre-modern) and where they fit in ----- once the project is complete I will do a offical release of the list and writeups..

please feel free to contact me and any help like the above is greatly appreciated !!!

thanks

richtree
richtree@gmail.com