View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Marc

It might be useful to find some old Beckett price guides from the early 1980s. As a kid in the 1980s, we would look at the prices and notice some of what seemed like the crazy prices for error cards. Those cards were certainly well-known. The 1958 Pancho Herrer stands out as one that always had a relatively large $$. I'd also agree that the 1981 Fleer errors were a big deal, well known, and sought after. Especially the Nettles. Same goes for the 1969 White Letters (Mantle, McCovey) and the 1974 San Diego/Washington cards.

And I'd also say that as much as the 1989 Ripken error (and corrections) is/are well known and collected and should be high on the list, I find the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson cards and corrections to be even more interesting. The rarity of the uncorrected version (I think there are two known?) and the sheer number of different corrections are mind boggling.

I'll also note here that I don't understand how the 1973 Al Kaline Band Aid card went so long without being a thing. It's hard not to notice once you know about it and it is a Hall of Famer.