View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Nice card. I have a few 48B's, but I don't know much about the set. I was looking at this one a couple weeks back, #67 Leo Mogus. I've never seen one before with the white background, I am not sure how rare this variation is. Maybe it was hand-cut from something? Anyway, I forgot to come back and bid on it and it got away, I think cheaply.

Anybody know anything about 1948 Bowman variations?
The grey 48's are scrap and will not get a numerical grade as they are all hand cut. I collect them and they are my favorite.

The workers would give these scrap sheets to local neighborhood children that stopped by the factory as they were just throwing them out. They have a good group of collectors, but many will not buy the because of the grading issue. I have never seen a PSA graded copy, so I cannot say they will grade at all. SGC and Beckett will grade the greys as authentic only.

Putting together a set can be hard as there are a few I have never seen as of yet and some that are super plentiful. I imagine the sheets scrapped certainly determined the spread. Strangely one of the ones I see the most is the Mikan, but they are very difficult to sell due to price and auth grades. In most cases it seems the gray sell for a little less unless it is one that rarely comes up and people are fighting. (although people set BINs high on them all the time, I am talking auction results)

I imagine that you just got this one from the large group on eBay a week or two ago. There were a few in there I went for.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 02-01-2023 at 01:19 PM.