View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 08:52 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Greg has got to be pulling his hair out...
Here's my last word on "kewpie dolls" (at least in this thread).... I think the ones you would want are the ones that came with the pins. There were definitely dolls and pins put together later. My "best' dolls have a crude SF on the cap, "Giants" stenciled on the chest and are of the proper black and orange color scheme. I think the "right" ones (as shown in this picture from a 1964 merchandise mailer) have a doubled up ribbon, held in place by the pinback's pin, which is looped through an elastic band around the doll's neck. P.S. sure wish I had a dozen of those "correct signature" Mays nodders, at a buck and a half apiece.
No kidding! Whose mailer is that? And that's exactly how my Amherst kewpie was when I bought it from Rick, so that seems to be the "standard" issue of origin. No doubt secondary dealers later made their own configurations with a team or college pin to enhance the value of kewpies on their own without one, but it might also be the case that virtually all these dolls came with pins and ribbons originally and had the right color scheme to represent the team or college named on the pin. They are so rare I guess nobody will ever bother to try to catalogue them, but I find them almost as appealing as the nodders, perhaps even more so due to that very rarity.