View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 08:04 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
My hypothesis at this point is this: They may not be secretarial/clubhouse, but perhaps a case of someone identifying something to do with Schaefer a long time ago. At some point, these writings may have been innocently confused by a family member for the real thing when a pioneering collector wrote to them and asked if they had an autograph to spare. These pieces were accepted by the collector as genuine and remained in various collections over the decades. We've seen this happen more than once with other players.
I certainly have seen that phenomenon a couple of times over the past 14 months or so that I have been researching T206 player autographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I don't seem to have a copy of his WWI draft registration card on file. Although it's been many years since I scoured that resource to seek every player exemplar I could find, I have a vague recollection that I did find the Schaefer card and it was unsigned--likely due to his being a patient at the time. Maybe someone else might confirm, as I'm only going by an aging memory.
I do not have his WWI draft card in my exemplars, but I may have not dug particularly deep because I had another one. I'll look again...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206