Thread: moral question
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2001, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default moral question

Posted By: JMK

MikeSchmidt,

I completely agree with you on being hesitant to check the bid lists for board members and make bidding decisions based on that, or feel pressure to make some 'agreements' with other bidders just because they are board members. I didn't take this topic quite that way.

I interpreted it more as a courtesy..'hey I just wanted to let you know I'm going for this card too'. Just that, a courtesy. From there one or two things could happen:

1) Both people could agressively pursue the card in the spirit of intense and friendly competition - which certainly does happen, and regularly!

2) One person who had only lukewarm interest in the card might be more inclined to back off rather than get caught up in a heat-of-the-moment bidding war.

Maybe that's kind of a perfect world view of two outcomes. What I would not support at all was if 'courtesy notices' started making individual bidders feel like they shouldn't bid, put some pressure on them to back off and let another board member get the card, etc. I didn't read that kind of intent into this thread, but you are completely right in that if it were to turn into that kind of situation it would cause far more trouble than good.

FWIW

Joann