View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
There are some other companies that seem to be doing this as well, making the assumption that all states with sales tax will at some point pass legislation mandating the collection and remittance of the use tax under Wayfair. I think Florida was one of the last few holdouts, but are going to begin requiring it July 1.
If the company is collecting *and* remitting the actual tax back to the state (even when it's not technically required), I don't think they're technically doing anything illegal. If they are collecting "tax" and not remitting it back to the state, then report them to the state in question. That would be a clear cut case of tax fraud, I believe.

Yeah, I'm sure they're remitting the appropriate amount back to the states/countries when they collect. What should stick in everybody's craw is they're also collecting a 12.55% to 15% vig from the seller, on the sales and VAT taxes they collect. That's a bit more then a 2 to 3% merchant processing fee, which should be enough to cover their "accounting".

They went from lobbying against individual states sales tax collection as being onerous on business's and detrimental to inter-state commerce, to embracing and even advancing it as a way to increase revenue and claiming they aren't hiking your fees in the process.

That doesn't even account for their "final value" money grab on the shipping costs also.