View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
The face in the artwork looks to be changed so that it looks more like Ruth than Marquard IMO. Could it possibly have been the original intention of the distributor to take the original photo and make it loook like Ruth intentionally? Just wondering.
That's interesting...I'd guess it's generic in design because it was intended to be purely educational.

The details in the faces look the same to me: shape of heads, mouths, eyes, etc, but the quality of the postcard image was better. Even if we looked at it trying to see Babe Ruth, we know the image is of Marquard, with no name, and base subjective identity on it being a Boston item and lefty pitcher (identified as Rube Marquard). And because it's Marquard, we can erase the lefty pitcher part and are left with it being from Boston only. That is extremely subjective and a long, long stretch. Interesting perspective though.

I spent a lot of time and years trying to see Babe Ruth on there just like many, many other people. It's not him in the photo AND his name isn't on it.