View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Neat box! Always loved those panels and boxes. The Post Cereal backstory probably warrants further investigation though. The team name was announced in November 1960, and Post Cereal had enough of a presence in Minnesota to know the name-selection rumors beforehand rather than relying on some guy. Also, if they thought they were going to be called the Minneapolis Senators, why not print that on the cards, rather than just Minneapolis? Seems more likely the cards were printed before late November--several players had changes made to show a new team on the updated, perforated versions, and those trades seemed to occur in December, 1960. Finally, I do not believe they ever corrected the boxes, instead they allowed orders of complete team sheets that showed the updates. And yes, Bob Allison was a real favorite in Minnesota too! He wore no. 4, and my aunt thought he was the most handsome player to ever don a Twins uniform. The rest of us were just glad he could hit. Flashed some real leather in the '65 series too, as noted by Vin Scully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQCLfttnxE
I took my information from Mueller's article, which he presumably took from the credited Dan Mabey book on the '61 Post set. He says, "the errors were corrected in a second printing that allowed collectors to send in for 10-card team sheets that were separated by perforations." I assume they didn't have the official team nickname yet, or, as you say, why wouldn't they have printed that, instead of the * and the note of "former Washington Senators." And perhaps the "Minnesota" variation came only on the send-away team sets, which from my box Mabey seems to be in error about those only being available from the second printing of the cereal boxes. That offer is available on mine, which is supposed to be a first printing with "Minneapolis," so maybe there was only one printing of the boxes, and the "Minnesota" correction was made in time to send out with the the perforated team sets. I guess the test would be whether there are any non-perforated Twins cards with "Minnesota" instead of "Minneapolis." I love this geeky stuff. And yes, Allison should have been pictured in the dictionary to illustrate the word "hunk." For D.C. fans, he was Frank Howard before Frank Howard!