View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 PM
DR
David R@tliff

As for my Day 2 pickups? ZIP. Got shut out today. I was close on 3-4 buys, mostly modern stuff but there were a couple T206s and a couple mid 50s RCs. Just couldn't quite close the gap, which I'm sure was some holdover from my spending the day before. But I've got today's cards on a list, and tomorrow is my last day at the show so I might make a final pass on each and see if I can get that final budge. If not, no big deal - I have a nice haul heading home. But hey - it can always be better, right?

All was not lost. To close out the day, I went to the Net54 dinner. I had not been in previous years, but I think I may just make this part of my annual trip. Here's a shot of the room.

It seemed pretty well attended, and I was surprised by how few "dealers" there were - most were collectors which I wasn't necessarily expecting. Sat with some folks I didn't know, and had some talk about cards. My table mates actually collected some rare stuff which I knew nothing about, so it was fun hearing from them about those cards and why they collected them and where they find them, etc. Totally different part of the hobby than I'm in, but the chase and their friendships and stories came through - it was really nice to hear that stuff, great reminder that this should be fun!

Also, Josh Evans from Lelands was one of the speakers. I appreciate that he got up in the front of the room and took questions, thought he did a nice job. It seems clear to me that everyone, collectors and companies alike, are all still trying to figure out how to balance hobby and business, ethics and responsibilities, and how to help find a way to root out the bad actors. There are no easy answers to a lot of these questions, but I remain hopeful that we can all keep a spotlight on some of these issues long enough to get an appropriate response and ultimately change in behavior from some of the "hobby leaders" (whether self-appointed or earned over time). I really think "transparency" is going to be the buzz word for the foreseeable future, as it should be and should have been for a long time. I think as "collectors" that is the demand we should be putting on the "businesses" and each other. How that ultimately comes together to impact "provenance" I think will be a real key to whether anything really changes or if this is the just the next in line of continuing hobby scandals. The FBI is definitely involved, we'll see if there's enough economic impact to keep them involved.

Anyway, Day 2 is now in the books. I'll be back late tomorrow or Sunday for Day 3 summary and final wrap. Hope you enjoy.